9.23.2008

Title Change, or what I'm doing after VISTA

One month from today will be my first day as a non-VISTA.

It will also be the day my job title changes from AmeriCorps*VISTA member/Resource Development Associate (which is a bear to type, by the way) to Director of Advancement for Starfish Initiative.

Other than the title changing (and the addition of a paycheck so I can earn real cashy money ), not a whole lot else will be different on Thursday, Oct. 23 compared to Wednesday, Oct. 22.

The job I've been doing as a VISTA for the last 11 months will be much the same as what I do as the Director of Advancement. I will still write grants; still fund-raise, still do newsletters.

I had no idea when I started this year that this would be what I would be doing a year later, full-time. I thought I was interested in development/advancement. While I was pretty unhappy with where I was before VISTA (too far from home, frustrations with trying to get involved in the community, long/terrible hours), I wasn't really sure if I would be able to get the "ink" out of my blood. (There are days when I miss journalism terribly, but not enough to go back full-time.)

So, I'm going to keep going with this fund raising thing as a career.

It's been a good year.

3 comments:

Roxann said...

"I wasn't really sure if I would be able to get the "ink" out of my blood. (There are days when I miss journalism terribly, but not enough to go back full-time.)"

I hope, a year from now, I will be able to say similar things about leaving my current job (which I really like, but it has issues) for something completely different.

liz said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :) bob told me months ago they were going to offer you a position, but i didn't want to say anything in case something fell through. hooray for your title change (very spiffy title too) and the advent of real money! woohoo!

Badgergirl said...

Congrats!

VISTA Service Ticker